Friday, July 22, 2005

it's a good thing my family has little idea of where I live in london.

because honestly, if they did know, they might be a bit freaked out. I mean, not that there is any big terrorist alert or anything, but let's just to a count here. my tube, three small blocks away from my flat, was psuedo bombed yesterday, meaning that the area is cordoned off and there are westminster-armed police on my corner where my bus lets me off. this morning, on my way back in from a run, vauxhall station, a 10 minute walk from my flat, was cordoned off and people weren't allowed to use the above ground trains. after walking to camberwell to get a bus, as no buses to goldsmiths were coming from vauxhall, I learn that a man was shot dead at the stockwell tube, 10 minutes down clapham road, wearing a bomb belt.

reminder: I live in london. and not during the ira bombings, but now, clearly, in a new era of violence. mmm. to think what the people of iraq, israel, and palestine, let alone other places in turmoil in the world, go through on the daily basis makes this pale in comparison. but still, it is a bit unnerving to see armed policemen whenever I want to get anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home